Remove this ad

tskikagezainin

Great Sealed Magician

#141 [url]

Dec 24 12 12:37 AM

I believe this belongs here.Never prior to this have I read (and watched?) a fanfic that had Rumia as the protagonist, but this now seems to be one of my favorites.Child Reimu, an unknown Miko, and an anomalously tall Rumia all have this being fairly interesting. It starts on a lighter tone, but it seems to slowly and subtly contort itself into a much darker and sadder atmosphere. The art is fairly nice too.Here's the playlist if anyone is interested. [url]

-red_beryl

I posted this awhile back somewhere, I don't know who saw it. But this is one of the Greatesty Fanfics I am aware of.

I legitimately gave Hawk a nose bleed by talking about Sanae's Panties 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

chronopolis

Secluded Librarian

#142 [url]

Dec 24 12 11:53 PM

I'm enjoying it to where I've progressed, but how might the CYAO aspect be utilized with this one?

-red_beryl

People place their votes in the thread, and the writer makes an update. For the catching-up or post-write reader, there are no choices to make.  http://www.touhou-project.com/forest/ is where the latest thread of that story is located. You can make a vote by copy pasting one of the choices from the latest post into the box at the top of the thread.

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#143 [url]

Dec 25 12 5:35 PM

People place their votes in the thread, and the writer makes an update. For the catching-up or post-write reader, there are no choices to make.  [url] is where the latest thread of that story is located. You can make a vote by copy pasting one of the choices from the latest post into the box at the top of the thread.

-chronopolis

Ah, that explains it. Thanks.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   

chronopolis

Secluded Librarian

#145 [url]

Feb 12 13 2:00 PM

Underground LA (Limited Adventure) [CYAO]
http://www.touhou-project.com/storylist.php?title=Underground+LA&author=&board[]=0&status[]=any
A young man from the human villages stumbles upon a clean gaping hole in the ground which seems to have appeared from no where... As it's name suggests, this CYAO takes place in the regions of Subterranean Animism.

Finally, a story that pins a definition, and a tangible and plausible "state" to the Ancient City. Animate, distinctive characters and nice political tension. I also like the depiction of oni society (not that I've seen another story depict this before). Has Yuugi, in case that is of interest.

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#146 [url]

Feb 14 13 12:47 PM

Underground LA (Limited Adventure) [CYAO]
[url][]=0&status[]=any
A young man from the human villages stumbles upon a clean gaping hole in the ground which seems to have appeared from no where... As it's name suggests, this CYAO takes place in the regions of Subterranean Animism.
Finally, a story that pins a definition, and a tangible and plausible "state" to the Ancient City. Animate, distinctive characters and nice political tension. I also like the depiction of oni society (not that I've seen another story depict this before). Has Yuugi, in case that is of interest.

-chronopolis

I've never read a fan-fic that takes place in the ancient city, seems interesting.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

chronopolis

Secluded Librarian

#147 [url]

Mar 8 13 7:47 AM

Two most recent reads

Retrospective and Astronomical Narraration
http://www.touhou-project.com/storylist.php?title=+Retrospective+and+Astronomical+Narraration&author=&board[]=0&status[]=any (the links are broken because it got taken down by author request, you can download it at http://www.mediafire.com/?ldyqyi6ds6w8xd9)
Ancient Gensokyo
http://www.touhou-project.com/storylist.php?title=Ancient+Gensokyo&author=&board[]=0&status[]=any

Neither of these two stories are completed, and they likely will never will be, but damn if they aren't two of the best stories I've seen on the site. There's about 8 threads of each, which is maybe once or twice that many in terms of number hours to go through. Go read them sometime, if you so please

The first, Raan, is a reimagining of Gensokyo as a The City, and a certain aqaeous fairy in the Saigyougi Mafia Crime-syndicate. It feels like a pretty open-ended story, painting the Touhou world in vivid and unfamiliar hues.

The second, Ancient Gensokyo, as its name, takes place a few hundred years before present day Gensokyo, and involves a certain monk and a number of era appropriate characters. We have a heavy-wieght Japanese religon buff writing, probably only rivaled by that Norseman guy who wrote Gensokyoland Saga. The characterization and religion elements in this story are exceptionally strong. As is the main character, incidentally. For a change.

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#148 [url]

Mar 11 13 10:14 PM

Neither of these two stories are completed, and they likely will never will be,

-chronopolis

An unfortunate result, I'm certainly no stranger to encountering those..
They both do sound interesting though.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   

#149 [url]

Mar 13 13 1:13 AM

These fanfics are rather VN like, which isn't something I'd do. At least, not yet. Great stories however!

<FloatingGhostz> You're from Serbia? <DisasterMaster> Yes I am. <Tskikage> The land of the Werewolves o.o <FloatingGhostz> Never heard of it.

Quote    Reply   

chronopolis

Secluded Librarian

#150 [url]

Mar 13 13 12:33 PM

These fanfics are rather VN like, which isn't something I'd do. At least, not yet. Great stories however!

-disastermaster

Mm, I'm in agreement with you about that (not something I'd do, (yet?)). I've been hard at work laying out the groundwork for my story, so if all goes well I'll start writing for real after exams (end of April). Need to try writing a short or two first, though.

I kind of wish THP (the primarily CYOA touhou site) would produce normal stories as well as CYOA's. While they are still bringing in fresh ideas, some of the outsider dropped in Gensokyo tropes have been done (or overdone). It's still is difficult to avoid the "male protagonist thrown in Gensokyo" in non-CYOA's, but in CYAO's its almost impossible to do so, except in rare cases, to do away with that. The CYAO format just doesn't integrate well with certain types of plots.

I don't mind  minor OC characters or even major OC characters, as long as they make sense. I'd even go so far as to say authors often neglect OC's when they (arguably) should exist. If you don't create these unnamed/oc characters when it makes sense (like during a visit to the human village or other settlement), you aren't setting the scene of Gensokyo that well imo. There are other people in Gensokyo beisdes the touhous, and just because they aren't important, doesn’t mean they can't be important or even just animate in one's story.

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#151 [url]

Mar 14 13 5:03 PM

-disastermaster

I never viewed them with that impression, but you are certainly correct to some extent.

I kind of wish THP (the primarily CYOA touhou site) would produce normal stories as well as CYOA's. While they are still bringing in fresh ideas, some of the outsider dropped in Gensokyo tropes have been done (or overdone). It's still is difficult to avoid the "male protagonist thrown in Gensokyo" in non-CYOA's, but in CYAO's its almost impossible to do so, except in rare cases, to do away with that. The CYAO format just doesn't integrate well with certain types of plots.

-chronopolis

Ah, they definitely have (it's usually how cross-overs are executed as well); I wasn't aware of how seldom such a variant is, leaves me curious for other possibilities.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   

chronopolis

Secluded Librarian

#152 [url]

Apr 8 13 6:18 PM

This month's (April) installment of touhou stories:
(I'm still reading Palingenesia btw. Also, I'm also totally open for discussion of any of the stories in this thread. Feel free, well as free as you can get for the hefty time investment.)

Palingenesia

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?cmi6ifa53m84bdf (in pdf form)
http://www.touhou-project.com/storylist.php?title=palingenesia&author=&board[]=0&status[]=any
Description: Within a post-apocalyptic setting, two worlds lie. One is dead, the ground cracked, the earth searing, under the assault of a second sun. The other is a mere shadow, an abode that mortals and youkai alike cling to. And gods. Ha! They vanished as their believers did, at the hands of the cataclysms they themselves wrought. A servant to these old gods of times long past, I have witnessed their successors, the creation of the pocket world: Gensokyo.
For what, a fear of death, or what comes after? No matter, absolutely, for our story will rest within the enclaves of the Hakurei Border. But in a world where there is nothing to be lost, only calamity can await.

Tainted Bonds
http://www.touhou-project.com/storylist.php?title=Tainted+Bonds&author=&board[]=0&status[]=any
Description: While Palingensia talks of a world or worlds dying, Tainted Bonds is about change in Gensokyo. Progress? Chaos? Unity? Bloodshed? Only time can tell. But enough about the world, too much deep, what is the story about? Hauling ass with a hella over-powered level 17 sorceror/bladesage. Anyways, one of the objectives of the author was to subvert the "weak" protagonist and prove that meaningful conflict is possible even with an extremely powerful main character.

No Such Things As Fairytales
http://www.touhou-project.com/th/res/166200.html
    -successor to No Such Things As Fairytales http://www.touhou-project.com/storylist.php?title=no+such&author=&board[]=0&status[]=any
Description: Marisa, with headphones. Any more would be a spoiler.

The stories strongly incorporates elements of Changeling: The Lost, from World of Darkness:
The story is inspired by the World of Darkness, a fictional analog to the real world in which human beings unknowingly coexist with legendary monsters and other supernatural phenomena. The "Changelings" of the title are ordinary human beings who were kidnapped by the Fae and taken as slaves to their world (alternately known as Arcadia or Faerie). The player characters are changelings who have managed to escape their otherworldly captors and struggle through the barrier (known as the Hedge or the Thorns) that separates Faerie from Earth. The game focuses on the experiences of these changelings as they re-discover the world of their birth, try to cope with the changes they have undergone, and seek to evade recapture.

The dominant themes of the game are the pain of loss, the quest for identity, and the bittersweet nature of human existence.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help