Remove this ad

cookies1

Tenacious Tengu Tabloider

#301 [url]

Feb 16 13 7:21 AM

Interesting, I've never watched it, but I know a few who will be delighted by this news.

-red_beryl

Just to clarify, it´s the manga that will be continued. Then hopefully after a few new chapters, the anime will pick up again with season 2.
If you can stand all the ecchi HotD has, I think you should try it out.

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it." - Himura Kenshin

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

redmagewolfe

Great Sealed Magician

#302 [url]

Feb 17 13 6:47 PM

For those who are interested, Highschool of the Dead will be continuing this spring after two years on hiatus and loads of false continuation dates. Now it has finally been confirmed after a long wait.

-cookies1

Some of my friends'll be hyped.
I was always kinda apathetic about it, though.

Interesting, I've never watched it, but I know a few who will be delighted by this news.The first few minutes and confirmed release date of the next Unicorn OVA.[media]I blithely wait for its release.

-red_beryl

Oooh, unicorn. Looking forward to it.

“An unforgettable memory can at times seem like an ugly scar.” - Clive Winslett THERE IS A CHEATER IN THE FOREST. ( ´ ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ω ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้` )

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#303 [url]

Mar 25 13 1:43 AM

Now that it's Spring, there's quite a few animes to look forward too; the beginning of the year had only two that I desired to watch.
However this season has quite a few:

Gundam Unicorn OVA 6
Valvrave
Devil Survivor 2 the Animation
Girls und Panzer (which ends tomorrow)
Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince
Railgun second season

Among a few others.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#305 [url]

Apr 7 13 7:45 PM

[url]
This is hilarious.

-gpogoso

That it was.
I'm shocked at the decision to incorporate such dramatically different designs from the original work.
Considering that in adaptations even slight modifications to the plot usually results in large disapproval.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   

cookies1

#306 [url]

Apr 8 13 12:44 AM

That it was.
I'm shocked at the decision to incorporate such dramatically different designs from the original work.
Considering that in adaptations even slight modifications to the plot usually results in large disapproval.

-red_beryl

Both the staff of the anime and the creator of the manga seems to have wanted to create something very unusual and at the same time get a reaction from the audience. While they certainly did manage to do that, to be honest, it just looks extremely ugly. Why not try to get good reactions instead?

Now about that song... never before has a song been more appropriate

"Perhaps the distant part of the sky always seems clearest, so that we will always strive to reach it." - Himura Kenshin

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#307 [url]

Apr 8 13 4:38 PM

Both the staff of the anime and the creator of the manga seems to have wanted to create something very unusual and at the same time get a reaction from the audience. While they certainly did manage to do that, to be honest, it just looks extremely ugly. Why not try to get good reactions instead?
Now about that song... never before has a song been more appropriate

-cookies1

I agree. I can understand what they attempted, the method can result with realistic individuals, and the backgrounds being so very nicely detailed could embellish that, but it would be best to attempt something of that sort on an original work; also, if they desire to utilize rotoscope animation, a very seldom practice in the anime industry, it's best to have a refined execution, much less a presumed botched effort.
An example of rotoscope animation in anime that would have received some variant of approbation for this series, no doubt. http://youtu.be/nZNPdUjaXys?t=1m38s

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

cookies1

#308 [url]

Apr 8 13 5:29 PM

I agree. I can understand what they attempted, the method can result with realistic individuals, and the backgrounds being so very nicely detailed could embellish that, but it would be best to attempt something of that sort on an original work; also, if they desire to utilize rotoscope animation, a very seldom practice in the anime industry, it's best to have a refined execution, much less a presumed botched effort.
An example of rotoscope animation in anime that would have received some variant of approbation for this series, no doubt. [url]

-red_beryl

The fact that it manages to pull of rotoscope animation which actually looks watchable is outstanding in itself. It seems extremely hard to pull off since there is a real thin line between getting that realistic feel rotoscope strives for, and getting something really ugly. This anime seems to have done a good job though, for which it deserves praise.

Now the music I hear in that video... is that jazz? Do I actually hear real jazz in an anime? Woah, that is certainly something I didn´t expect. I´ve always had a big love for that. If the rest of the soundtrack is also like that, you´ve certainly managed to get me interested :O

Quote    Reply   

chronopolis

Secluded Librarian

#309 [url]

Apr 8 13 10:08 PM

Woah, rortorscopic is soooo different. But the explanation is suprisingly simple. It's funny that we've got so used to anime motion that real motion seems trippy.

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#310 [url]

Apr 11 13 6:14 AM

The fact that it manages to pull of rotoscope animation which actually looks watchable is outstanding in itself. It seems extremely hard to pull off since there is a real thin line between getting that realistic feel rotoscope strives for, and getting something really ugly. This anime seems to have done a good job though, for which it deserves praise.

-cookies1

That it does.

Now the music I hear in that video... is that jazz? Do I actually hear real jazz in an anime? Woah, that is certainly something I didn´t expect. I´ve always had a big love for that. If the rest of the soundtrack is also like that, you´ve certainly managed to get me interested :O

-cookies1

Yeah, the anime has a focus on that as one of its themes. The anime had received a bit of hype before it released, mostly as a result of one of creators being the director of Cowboy Bebop; though after it released, I'm assuming as a result of other larger releases, it didn't receive much popularity.

Woah, rortorscopic is soooo different. But the explanation is suprisingly simple. It's funny that we've got so used to anime motion that real motion seems trippy.

-chronopolis

Definitely.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   

tskikagezainin

Great Sealed Magician

#311 [url]

Oct 15 13 8:58 PM

I just finished watching the first season of Valvrave. If you haven't seen it yet you need to, because Valvrave is amazing.

I also read the entirety of Omamori Himari after watching the series at Anime Night, definitely worth the read in my opinion.

I legitimately gave Hawk a nose bleed by talking about Sanae's Panties 

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#312 [url]

Oct 17 13 1:20 AM

Interesting, I watched Valvrave when it was airing. It started as something with potential, but then became the unintentional comedy of the season for a while as its execution, writing, and the like were anomalously bad to the extent, that I remember there being discussions (and polls) about whether or not it was self-aware and that it was some sort of parody along the lines of something such as Nadesico. To its credit though, the mecha action sequences were always a joy to watch (as one would expect from Sunrise) and the anime did actually not only meliorate itself by the end, but actually became likable to the extent that I am slightly looking forward to the next season.

However airing alongside Gargants which was a far more likable mecha didn't help improve my perspective of Valvrave any more. Since overall the former was overall a far better executed concept.
Also I feel obligated to post this for some inexplicable reason:

Saddened to see that the original video has been removed...again, I believe that's three times now. So unfortunately the ten hour version which only seems to have taken a fragment of the original remains.

I thought I never heard of Omamari, but when I looked into it I recognized the art and remembered it has been in my "to watch" list for quite a while now, didn't know it had a manga. I'll eventually look into which one is considered the definitive version and decide which one to watch/read then.

Last Edited By: red beryl Oct 17 13 1:32 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

tskikagezainin

Great Sealed Magician

#313 [url]

Oct 17 13 8:51 AM

I am in firm belief that Valvrave knows how off the walls insane it is. There's no way they tried to do this seriously and made it this insane on accident.

I legitimately gave Hawk a nose bleed by talking about Sanae's Panties 

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#314 [url]

Oct 18 13 2:04 AM

tskikagezainin-image-

I am in firm belief that Valvrave knows how off the walls insane it is. There's no way they tried to do this seriously and made it this insane on accident.

That's one of the very aforementioned discussions I remember, it at times hints to being self-aware and at other instances feels as though it's some odd amalgam of Sunrise's less than likable tendencies, somewhat recent habits, and the like (and by that I mean what has been causing all of their recent -original- works to have serious faults, namely what caused 00s deteriorating quality). Even then, knowing what you want to be doesn't necessarily mean that what that is will result in something objectively good (if you like it that's fine, objective vs. preferential, etc.). Though in Valvrave's case  it at times, well actually, for the great majority of it is surprisingly unfocused and consists of plot twists so absurd you wonder if it is attempting to be over the top like TTGL (which I have yet to watch, so in my case I'd draw an analogy to GRA or something of that sort) or if its using it as an excuse to avoid the fact of how flawed and unfocused it is, in addition to just throwing in another mecha fight sequence.

It also rehashes quite a bit from Sunrise's past executions as well, again instilling the thought of being self-aware, though it's far from the first time Sunrise has done this. Not to mention, most of what it reuses is lesser in quality than their counterparts; it results in what is overall a blatantly generic mecha anime. It also has an abundance of cliches, like the militaristic menace for example, or the abundance of overused tropes within its characters, which continued to confuse viewers; but in any case, a pack of cliches that was intentional, is still a pack of cliches, especially if you fail to establish any sort of parodying nature, like Nadesico did for example (which is why it's a fairly memorable parody and self-aware plot that slowly becomes what it's parodying in a manner of homages, allusions, and the like to the more classic mecha animes).

In addition to that, you have misleading segments, wasted drama, missed potential, being overly dramatic when the cause is far too thin, heavily contrived elements, characters it doesn't know what to do with, barrages of twists (Jirui wa Suitai Shimashita has a very good segment about that sort of aspect) that flow poorly (which is one of many aspects that were unintentionally hilarious), and ironically the actual intended humor, jokes, and the like weren't very funny at all.

I'll stop myself there, before I type far too much to keep anyone even remotely interested.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help