redmagewolfe

Great Sealed Magician

Lead

May 5 12 4:26 PM

Tags : :

Review for DS and StB.

Summary-> Turrible.

Actual friggin' review->
I didn't think it was possible to find a Touhou game that was less pleasant than UFO, but wow, these two... things... are just atrocious.

I think I know why they're relatively awful, too. It's because they aren't actually Touhou games. .
What I mean by that they feel like things that were made to appease the fans. You get people complaining about the absence of certain characters ALL THE TIME, and it feels like this is the result of that. It's like ZUN wanted to shut them up, so he made games that he could just shove EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER into and still have the...*ahem* 'plotline' make a modicum of sense. 
(The story of both games consists of nothing more than "HAI GAIZ, I AM TENGU, LET ME SEE UR PANTIES LOLOLOLOL" Although DS includes Hatate, which means that the plot of that one also includes "OMG, I EM TaNGU TOO. LETZ TAK3 PiX OF ERREONEY!!!1!!)

So, looking past the dumb premise, the game can be okay, right? I mean, Touhou is mostly a game centered around the 'experience' of playing it anyway, the music, the feel of the game, etc. So these could theoretically be at least passable., maybe even great.
But they aren't.
 Let's run through this, shall we?

•Control
Playing these games feels like riding a winged dolphin, which is on crack, having a seizure, and covered in butter. It's awkward beyond belief. And don't give me that "Well, you just gotta get used to it," bullshit. Look at Fairy Wars. Fairy Wars had a gameplay style that made it similar to previous titles, but different enough to make it fun, exciting, and legitimately challenging.You got the hang of it right away, you knew what was going on, and it works perfectly for what it is. The control schemes for DS and StB, however, are just... awful. It feels like a fan-game or something. The film winding system slows down the gameplay, making you focus more on your percentage instead of dodging bullets (Which is kinda what danmakiu is about, just sayin'). 
Also, the hitboxes are the worst. I mean, it's like Aya's size sort of.... pulsates. Shrinking and growing without telling you. I dunno, it's weird. Personally, I think that, given what she is, Aya should control like Marisa, but with Reimu's tiny little hitbox. Instead, it's like I'm controlling a flying donkey with a camera attached to it's back.

•Music

Okay, Music, it's gotta be good, right? Well it is. The first few times you hear it, but you're gonna be hearing every song a WHOLE LOT. Very few feel memorable, and that's okay, but there should be at least be greater variety of songs, given how often one needs to repeat stages. 

•Scoring
Completely random. You can tell me that there's skill to it all you want, but most of the time, the game will just give you whatever score it pleases for your photos. Unless you're good, like, capable-of-1CCing-every-game-on-Lunatic good, then you won't be able to make use of things like the Nice Shot bonus. The requirements of some of the bonuses are just plain dumb. (Color Shot? Are you kidding me?) And why the hell does the velocity of bullets affect the base score of the photo? Photos don't move. 

•Characters.
 EVERYONE. That's what the game's about, after all. Bringing every character (Aside from PC-98's lol. No one cares about that shit, and the ones that do only want Mima.) in so that you can make fans happy. Aside from Hatate, there are absolutely NO original characters in both StB and DS. I mean, you get to see Suika and Tenshi actually use danmaku, but that's not interesting enough to make up for it. 
You don't even get any dialogue from these characters, just Aya's stupid comments on photos. 
We could have learned more about Tengu culture, gotten a glimpse of Momiji's personality, seen some new characters, but instead we got this bit of useless fluff.
Lastly, you play as... Aya... yaaaaay... poorly executed character...yaaaay...

I don't know why there are two of these games, and I hope that there won't be anymore. 
GFW proved that spinoffs can be inventive, fun and interesting enough to add more color to our knowledge of Gensokyo. Yet all the Aya games do is provide a fleeting bit of pleasure to people who think they're cool for liking obscure characters and complaining that they haven't returned. 
 In other words, these are for all the hipsters out there. Maybe I'd enjoy them more if I grow a neckbeard and wear a scarf while playing them.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

tskikagezainin

Great Sealed Magician

#1 [url]

May 5 12 9:11 PM

Touhou 9.5 First time Playing:
Me: Ok who can I play as?
Game: Aya
Me: Ok who else?
Game You can play ONLY as Aya.
Me: Ok then, what options do I get.
Game: You get one option. 
Me: What is it?
Game: You will lack the ability to shoot and use bombs, but you get to take pretty pictures.
Me: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I legitimately gave Hawk a nose bleed by talking about Sanae's Panties 

Quote    Reply   

redmagewolfe

Great Sealed Magician

#2 [url]

May 5 12 10:57 PM

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ 

-tskikagezainin

Exactly. 
StB is, admittedly, the worse of the two.

“An unforgettable memory can at times seem like an ugly scar.” - Clive Winslett THERE IS A CHEATER IN THE FOREST. ( ´ ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ω ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้` )

Quote    Reply   

redmagewolfe

Great Sealed Magician

#4 [url]

May 5 12 11:04 PM

StB was so bad I still haven't even downloaded DS

-tskikagezainin

Well neither are good, but DS is much more tolerable. I can see myself actually beating it if I was bored enough.

“An unforgettable memory can at times seem like an ugly scar.” - Clive Winslett THERE IS A CHEATER IN THE FOREST. ( ´ ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ω ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้` )

Quote    Reply   

hawk

#6 [url]

May 6 12 1:29 AM

As much as I love Aya, her series really doesn't do her justice.
What good is a Touhou game if you can't shoot?

Hopefully, if there was a Kogasa series, it would fare better.

[b]Currently tripping and running into unknown boundaries.[/b] [img]scarletdevilmansion.lefora.com/composition/attachment/ffc758edf51d1bb230942e449eebaa4b/1211059/Founder.png?thumb=1[/img] Those who think Keine is easy obviously haven't played the Extra Stage. My Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/user/dragonsdenhawk

Quote    Reply   

borderfree

Victim of Immortality

#7 [url]

May 6 12 2:34 AM

At least you get Hatate who I don't actually know much about and fans like to make her a yandere XD

Well, haven't played the games so I can't say, I only have a glimpse of it through the video Infinite World and the video is actually quite good and exciting. If the actual games are really that bad like you guys said, then the fandom is not to be underestimated O.O

I hope one day a gap will open, pull me through the border and lead me to the land I has been longing for

Quote    Reply   

redmagewolfe

Great Sealed Magician

#8 [url]

May 6 12 11:06 AM

-hawk

Oh, man. Yes. 
I actually think the next spinoff has a good chance of being about her. That or Koishi.

, I only have a glimpse of it through the video Infinite World and the video is actually quite good and exciting.

-borderfree

Oh that video is breathtaking. It makes the concept look way more exciting.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

guilefulcanine

Winter's Remains

#9 [url]

Jun 7 12 5:55 PM

I can probably agree with this, pretty much, yeah.

Seriously, it's one of those games that I would only play if I were bored of the other Touhou games, and even so, I'd probably play some shitty flash game.

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#10 [url]

Jun 8 12 1:42 AM

As much as I love Aya, her series really doesn't do her justice.
What good is a Touhou game if you can't shoot?

-hawk

Indeed, even the fighters had a sense of implementing a counterpart of the shooting system,

-hawk

Oh, man. Yes. 
I actually think the next spinoff has a good chance of being about her. That or Koishi.

-redmagewolfe

I'd be more than blithely accepting of either.

I can probably agree with this, pretty much, yeah.
Seriously, it's one of those games that I would only play if I were bored of the other Touhou games, and even so, I'd probably play some shitty flash game.

-guilefulcanine

There are a few flash games that are quite enjoyable, they are somewhat tough to locate though.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   

guilefulcanine

Winter's Remains

#11 [url]

Jun 8 12 5:34 PM

There are a few flash games that are quite enjoyable, they are somewhat tough to locate though.

-red_beryl

Now I'm not saying that all Flash games in general are really shitty, but a majority of them turn out to be, at least for me. Yeah, I have found a few pretty fun Flash games, so...

Quote    Reply   

redmagewolfe

Great Sealed Magician

#13 [url]

Aug 29 12 7:25 PM

What;s the difference (in tolerability) between stb and DS. I've only played stb.

-chronopolis

It just feels better. Everything from stb is improved, except for the fact that it sucks.

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#14 [url]

Aug 29 12 7:35 PM

What;s the difference (in tolerability) between stb and DS. I've only played stb.

-chronopolis

I believe, though this is only from observations as I've yet to play either, but if I recall correctly it's simply an increase of characters.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   

red beryl

Great Sealed Magician

#16 [url]

Sep 5 12 6:34 PM

the only thing different about ds from stb is that it has rotatable camera
also stb was okay with danmaku but most of the gimmicks in ds are really stupid

-guilefulcanine

Do elaborate, you have me curious about these gimmicks.

その [b]愛/藍[/b] が,運命を変える

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help